Thursday, November 1, 2012

Bubble Bubble Toil and Trouble

I have never really had an appreciation for Shakespeare. I understand that he has written some classic plays, but it has never particularly appealed to me, yet today, I sat in AP Lit and was completely taken aback by what I heard. We read through the play Macbeth throughout last week and to be honest, I tried to pay attention but when you don't really understand what is being said, it makes it hard. Today, we looked back at an aside that is said by Macbeth. I think that it is a really good representation of sin. I won't go into gory details, but Macbeth is an esteemed man and one of great character, Many people admired him for that, but when temptation crept into Macbeth's path, he chose to stumble into it.

Had Macbeth been around more people that would keep him accountable for his actions, would his desire for the crown still overrule the sorrow he had about murder?

I know many of us are not struggling between whether or not we should murder someone, but let's make this more real. Maybe you're struggling deciding whether or not you will go back to that website. I mean, is it really hurting or even effecting anyone other than you? Yes, what about your spouse who will have to live knowing that her body is not the only one that you enjoyed. And God who created you for much more than that. Maybe you're struggling whether or not to tell a lie or not. I mean, it's not like it's going to change much, but it might just be enough to impress the guy you like, even if only for a moment. Maybe, you are deciding whether or not to pull out that razor and just cut your wrists. It's different for all of us, but there is one thing I know about sin. It comes to steal, kill, and destroy.

It creeps in in some of the most subtle ways and before long, it rampages through your life. It destroys everything. You lose your good character to a mistake. Just like Macbeth.

A popular band, Mumford and Sons wrote a song about this. It clearly references Macbeth and even uses a few lines from the play. I hope that you see that sin is not something to play around with. You think it won't change who you are if you only do it one time, but I promise you from personal experience, if you don't ask God to immediately intercede and strengthen you, that sin will be a foothold for Satan.

I've been there.

I also want to post one more song. It really encourages me that even when I do struggle with sin barging in on my life, it does not define me because Christ has overcome sin and made me new again. 


Laying Down Myself
Kenzie Mason

No comments:

Post a Comment