Sunday, October 21, 2012

The Lucky One

So tonight, I'm listening to one of my favorite artists new albums...yes, it is Taylor Swift's RED. I don't care if you do or don't like Taylor Swift, but I think there's a lot to be said about the song, "The Lucky One". In this song, she talks about the negative side to being famous. Most of us "regular people" can't imagine the negatives to walking around and everyone singing your songs, knowing your name, and paying thousands of dollars for anything that your name touches. She makes it pretty clear that society tells us to strive for this wealth and fame, but in the end, she basically agrees with Solomon in Ecclesiastes...it's all just meaningless. I'm not saying that Taylor Swift is the current Solomon, however I think that this song is a good way to relate our culture today to an issue that the Scripture deals with. In the song, Taylor shows us what the problem is with our world, and like a lot of things, in the Scriptures, we find the answer. If you worry about where your purpose and fulfillment is coming from, I'd really encourage you to read through Ecclesiastes. It's not very long, but very helpful. Solomon gives us a pretty straight forward answer and tells us where our purpose is found. And SPOILER ALERT: It's found in God and His will for us. What hope! Many people in this world will get to the end of their lives and say, "I still feel so empty. Some of the most famous people have done it. Jim Carrey was quoted saying,

I think everybody should get rich and famous and do everything they ever dreamed of so they can see that it’s not the answer.

I wouldn't say I agree with everything Jim Carrey says, but this really hits home for me. If you had everything you could ever wish for, would you be satisfied and fulfilled, or would you be left still wanting more?

Laying Down Myself
Kenzie Mason

No comments:

Post a Comment