Monday, October 29, 2012

Essence of Innocence

I'm not going to assume that anyone reads this blog, nor am I going to assume that should anyone read it, they will be reading from a Christian perspective. So you might not agree with me. That's ok. I understand. 

I don't know about you, but when I think about God, I think of words like mighty, powerful, omniscient (all knowing), creator, sustainer, king, lord, and just. That's just one side of Him. On the other hand he is love, joy, hope, compassion, and mercy. Those are all words that clearly describe God to me, but one thing I rarely think about is INNOCENT.

Let's step back and find the meaning of the word innocent. 

Innocent: free from guilt or sin especially through lack of knowledge of evil 

I wouldn't go as far as to say that God doesn't have knowledge of evil. I think that He knows evil because He watched as it destroyed the perfect creation that He carefully thought of. I think a Father  has a good sense of what it is that takes and destroys His children. 

I would say that God doesn't know evil. He can not associate himself with it. In that, He is innocent. 

How amazing is that?! I mean I walk throughout pretty much every day with some kind of guilt. It could be from, "I should have said 'I love you' to my brother this morning," or it could be, "I shouldn't have lied to my mom like that." Either way, it's constantly there. It's so comforting to me to know that the God that I serve walked on this earth and was very much like me, yet he still maintained this innocence. 

In Isaiah 53:7 it says:
He was oppressed and He was afflicted, yet He did not open His mouth; 
like a lamb that is led to slaughter, and like a sheep that is silent before its shearers, 
so He did not open His mouth.

I don't think that the reason for Jesus's silence was because of fear, but because of innocence. He was innocent like a lamb or a sheep and yet he bore our sins on the cross. His innocence was necessary because only a clean sacrifice could take away our sins. Should we say that Christ was not innocent, that God is not innocent, we lose salvation. We lose hope. We lose our lives that we have laid down to a lie. Luckily, Jesus was the perfect sacrifice that atoned for our sins, bringing us back to a Father with outstretched arms running to His children who are turning back to him. 


What an awesome God we serve. 

Laying Down Myself
Kenzie Mason

No comments:

Post a Comment